Friday, November 6, 2015

Ungodly

Title: Ungodly

Author: Kendare Blake

First Published: September 22nd, 2015

Series: The Goddess War #3

Genre: YA, Fantasy

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

My Rating: 8/10

Goodreads Summary:
As ancient immortals are left reeling, a modern Athena and Hermes search the world for answers in the final Goddess War novel by the acclaimed author of Anna Dressed in Blood.

For the Goddess of Wisdom, what Athena didn’t know could fill a book. That’s what Ares said.

So she was wrong about some things. So the assault on Olympus left them beaten and scattered and possibly dead. So they have to fight the Fates themselves, who, it turns out, are the source of the gods’ illness. And sure, Athena is stuck in the underworld, holding the body of the only hero she has ever loved.

But Hermes is still topside, trying to power up Andie and Henry before he runs out of time and dies, or the Fates arrive to eat their faces.

And Cassandra is up there somewhere too. On a quest for death. With the god of death.

Just because things haven’t gone exactly according to plan, it doesn't mean they’ve lost. They’ve only mostly lost. And there’s a big difference.

What can I say? It was a very strong ending to the Goddess War trilogy. I would even say that it was better than the previous two books.

There's been much character development for Cassandra. She started off innocent and naive. Then in Mortal Gods, she became cold-blooded and angry at the world, then in Ungodly, she was sad and wanted everything to be over. I don't know if Kendare Blake was trying to make Cassandra the likeable protagonist of the book or not, but for me, she certainly was not the best person. She still hasn't completely gotten over Aidan/Apollo's death, so she's still rude and just plain horrible to everyone. She still hates most gods (especially Athena, for no valid reason), but has gotten over her bloodthirsty need to kill them all. She's more reasonable and rational than previously, but she's still not the nicest person on the planet.

*Spoiler Alert* When Cassandra was confronted by Alecto, she lost control of herself and killed Calypso. We can see that she feels tremendously guilty for accidentally killing one of her friends. This happens really early on in the book. I was waiting for Cassandra to own up, but she never did - until the last couple of pages! She finally admitted it by yelling it across the room when she was fighting the Fates. I thought it wasn't the best time to admit it, because we can see how it affects Cassandra and Athena for one second. Both were two busy trying not to die. So, it wasn't the best time to come clean.

*Spoiler over*

With the gods dying, we can finally see that they are no longer the prideful, powerful beings they once were. They are scared. All gods in this book showed more human-like feelings and behaviour. Athena and Hermes were always like two peas in a pod since book one, and there was a new addition of Ares to the gang. I like Hermes although we don't get to see him a lot. It sucks, really. I thought he was a cool character. And so was Thanatos. He was awesome.

So, I'd say this was a good ending for the book. It wasn't the best series I've read, but it was a nice twist of Greek myths. My favourite part was how the gods died. Athena was dying from feathers. Hermes was falling sick. Persephone was rotting to pieces. All very ironic, no?

My Chosen Quote:
"The past never left."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!