Sunday, January 17, 2016

Nearly Gone

Title: Nearly Gone

Author: Elle Cosimano

First Published: March 25th 2014

Series: Nearly Gone #1

Genre: YA, Mystery, Thriller

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

Pages: 386

My Copy: Physical copy

My Rating: 9/10

Goodreads Summary
He revved the engine and I held tight with both hands as the bike lurched forward, We zoomed down streets, leaning into the curves, wind whipping over me. I pressed into his back until all I could smell was the leather tang of his jacket, and all I could taste was the sweet thrill of flying away.

Keeping secrets is second nature to Nearly Boswell. Living in a trailer park outside Washington, DC, with a mom who works as an exotic dancer, she knows better than to share anything that would make her a target with her classmates. Only her best friends know about her obsession with the personal ads, and Nearly hasn't told anyone about the emotions she can taste when she brushes against someone's skin.

Then a serial killer goes on a murder spree and starts attacking students, leaving cryptic ads in the newspaper. Nearly might be the one person who can put all the clues together, and if she doesn't figure it out soon - she'll be next.

Big, dark, scary, and brilliantly plotted, Nearly Gone will leave you guessing until the very end. 


It's been a while since I've read a mystery book that wasn't by Agatha Christie! But this was phenomenal. Nearly (or Leigh, as she likes to call herself) spends her days reading the personal ads in the newspapers. When someone begins writing riddles in cryptic ways that seems to link to the murders happening in Nearly's school, it's time for her to figure out the clues and stop the killer before s/he strikes again.

As the list of murders gets longer and longer, the more Nearly was desperate to find the killer. Working with Reece, the narc that the police have sent to investigate her, she finally finds out who the real killer is.

Cosimano brilliantly lays out all the clues right in front of our eyes, but at the same time planting red herrings all around until we have no clue what we really know. I had my suspicions as the book progressed, but I was wrong!

My favourite part of the book are the ads/clues left for Nearly to solve. They all have something to do with science, which is Nearly's strong suit. Usually at first glance, they make absolutely no sense. Until Nearly figures it out... but not right away.

Here's the ad that started it all.
Newton was wrong. We clash with yellow. Find me tonight under the bleachers. 
 And here's my favourite.
Some cats don't dance. Respite in a box, a toxic paradise. Dead or alive when you find him?
Though sometimes, I must say that Nearly disappointed me. She was one of the last people to figure out who the killer was, and she also had help from Reece. A lot of help. Nearly is meant to be the clever, problem-solving girl, but she's one of the last people to see the pattern in the killings.

Overall, this is a very good mystery book and I would definitely recommend it for those who enjoy this genre. There's a sequel,  called Nearly Found. I don't know when I'll get round to reading it, but I sure will!

My Chosen Quote
"Once a bad element, always a bad element."

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh wow. This sounded really great! I'm up to literally ANYTHING that's mystery + suspense + thriller + psychological, and all that stuff. (Honestly, I'm still wondering why I crave so much for this genre. Lol!) It's a perfect time that I came across your review because I'm currently reading Shadowlands by Kate Brian, and guuuuuurl, it's just so good that I feel like I want to read more suspenseful novels!

    So thank you for sharing this, Cloe! Your review totally made me want to go add this up on my next mystery/suspense priority read. :D


    Fiona | A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you read this book because it's definitely worth it! If you do, I can't wait to see your thoughts on the ending!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really interesting! It's been awhile since I've read a good YA mystery, so I think I'll add this one to my TBR. Great review!

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, I hope you do get round to reading it!

      Delete
  3. I really do want to try this one!! it's kind of been on my wishlist FOREVER?!?! And I'm super curious about the mystery aspect. I sometimes guess mysteries?! But I'd rather be surprised. XD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you should definitely read it soon! I didn't think it would be this good but it really is!

      Delete
  4. I am a huge mystery fan, it's one of the first genres I fell in love with. If you say this is a good YA mystery--I have to check it out. They're so far and few in between. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I've read a good mystery book where the clues fit perfectly. This is a great example. I hope you do read it!

      Delete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!